2010 marks the second decade of the 21st century and we decided that this year we would mark the new by re-reading the old. We selected books we have read previously. The criteria was any book we deemed to be a favorite of any member could be nominated — whether it was part of our reading list history or not.
Book selection time, held in November, is always a fun meeting. Any title nominated must be “sold” to the group by the member suggesting it. We request that members bring a copy of the book to the November meeting for browsing by the rest of the group. Then as the recommended titles are identified the recommending member must make her “pitch”.
Of course, the books are recommended within the context of the year’s theme which was selected at the previous meeting in September.
Fifteen (15) titles were recommended as Bibliofavorites. Only six (6) made the cut — they are listed below. The remaining titles are also provided to demonstrate the richness of the list we had to chose from. There were no real losers just some that outshone others.
Of the six (6) chosen for 2010, four (4) had been on previous Bibliophiles reading lists; two (2) have not been read by the group previously.
We hope you enjoy our selection as much as we are sure to. And we know that Bibliofavorites will endure for at least one more year — there are just too many terrific works to pass up.
- PUSH by Sapphire
- WILD SEED by Octavia E. Butler
- THE HOUSE AT SUGAR BEACH by Helene Cooper
- THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD by Zora Neale Hurston
- STANDING AT THE SCRATCH LINE by Guy Johnson
- LIFE IS SHORT BUT WIDE by J. California Cooper
Other Bibliofavorites suggested but not selected [this year].
- BELOVED by Toni Morrison
- BLACK MANHATTAN by James Weldon Johnson
- FINDING MARTHA’S VINEYARD: African Americans at Home on an Island by Jill Nelson
- THE FOUR AGREEMENTS: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- LEFT TO TELL: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza
- THE POISONWOOD BIBLE by Barbara Kingsolver
- SISTERS OF THE YAM by bell hooks
- SONG OF SOLOMON by Toni Morrison
- TUMBLING by Diane McKinney-Whetstone