Expanding upon our 2006 theme, the subject matter of contemporary social issues proved so compelling that we elected to explore the topic more fully.
That year we chose titles that explored a broad range of topics including class and race, homosexuality, political discourse, man’s inhumanity to his fellow man, parenting, and finally the story of political and social ascension after the Civil War.
The titles, in the order we read them, are:
- A LOVE NOIRE by Erica Simone Turnipseed
- THE GREATEST TABOO:Homosexuality in the Black Community by Delroy Constantine Sims
- THE AUDACITY OF HOPE by Barack Obama
- LEFT TO TELL: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Lilagiza
- THE WARRIOR METHOD: A Parents’ Guide to Rearing Healthy Black Boys by Raymond Winbush
- THE SENATOR AND THE SOCIALITE: The True Story of America’s First Black Dynasty by Lawrence Otis Graham